Welcome to Cram Elementary School, where staff, students, and parents have worked collaboratively to provide the highest academic experience since 1869.
Cram School was established in 1869, creating a new school district out of the Warm Springs District.
In 1869, Lewis F. Cram saw a need for a school in the eastern part of the valley. He had two sons of his own, and more families were settling in the area of Cramville, (where the Village Lakes development is today). The new school district was separated from the Warm Springs district, and Lewis Cram donated land south of Base Line and under the point of the bluff. Neighbors came with hammers and saws to help build the first, one-room, clapboard schoolhouse.
The increase in the citrus industry and the population rendered the 1882 Cram school outdated and outgrown. A Mission-style building was constructed on the same site, in front of the earlier building. Eight grades were taught at the Cram School until 1907, when the Cram high school students attended Redlands High School. Another change occurred in 1917, when seventh and eighth graders attended Redlands Jr. High School for the first time.
The Cram School District was administered by an elected school board under the San Bernardino Schools system until 1957, when it was absorbed into the Redlands School District. In 1958, 56 years after the construction of the 1902 school building, a new school was erected. It was situated below the 1902 site, with the entrance facing Elder Gulch Road. The new schoolhouse was a one-story building with six classrooms. Portable classrooms were brought in later to handle the growing needs of the school. But the school could not keep up with the demands of the growing population.
Cram School was closed in 1991, after the construction of the new Arroyo Verde Elementary School, which was dedicated Jan. 21 of the same year. The Cram school building was burned as a training exercise for the Forestry Department. Cram School, however, was not closed for long. In 1996, plans were made for a new Cram School building on Aplin and Water Streets. Sept. 9, 1997, Cram School was open for the first day of school of the 1997-98 academic years, and continues in this location today.
Cram Elementary School prides itself in providing a rigorous academic program using the Common Core State Standards, preparing students for success in the 21st Century. Students have access to, and are taught using, the latest technology. Cram embraces students with special needs within our classrooms through a variety of supportive and inclusive programs including GATE-certified teachers, pull out/push in academic support, and Mild-Moderate Special Education classrooms.
Our PTSA is very active and provides many activities for our families to be involved such as Back to School Ice Cream Social, Reading and Math Nights, Cram Carnival, Family Picnic, and much more!
Cram has been honored with the 2015-2016 California Business Education Excellence Honor Roll recognition, and we continue to strive for excellence in all we do in serving our students and community!