AVID stands for Advancement via Individual Determination.
AVID's mission is to "close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society."
In Redlands Unified School District, our mission is to ensure that all students, and most especially students in the middle with academic potential:
- Will succeed in the most rigorous curriculum
- Will enter mainstream activities of the school
- Will increase their enrollment in four-year colleges
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
AVID students complete university entrance requirements at a much higherrate than their non-AVID peers.
One of the keys to AVID’s success is in the percentage of AVID seniors who are accepted to four-year colleges.
AVID curriculum and methodologies are based on WICOR or Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization and Reading. Writing activities such as Cornell notes and weekly tutorials are based on inquiry or questioning which causes students to think critically about concepts or materials they do not understand. Trained teachers and college tutors guide students in the process of being responsible for their own learning.
About three times a year, AVID students have the opportunity to visit colleges in the area. By their junior year, AVID students go on a three day overnight fieldtrip to various colleges in northern California. By their senior year, AVID students will have had the opportunity to visit fifteen different colleges and universities in California.
Other AVID services we offer include:
- Teaches study & organization skills
- Tutoring by trained college tutors
- Positive peer group
- SAT preparation
- Career exploration
- Guest speakers
- Assists in college applications
- Assists in scholarships
- Teaches students to work collaboratively to be successful in the most rigorous courses
Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Jamie P. Ochoa
email address: email@example.com
For Google assignments: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: (909) 307-5500 X 31535