Clearing Absences and Tardies
Attendance is the most fundamental building block for success in high school. Because parental support is essential in the maintenance of accurate attendance records, we request that you familiarize yourself with the following procedures and review them with your student.
All legitimate student absences must be cleared by a parent/guardian. These clearances must be accomplished by the following methods:
- A note, signed by parent/guardian, and turned in to the Attendance Office. The note must indicate the exact dates and periods of the absence and indicate the reason for the absence
- A telephone call from a parent/guardian to the Attendance office indicating the exact dates and periods of absence and the reason for the absence.
- Please note that a call or note letting us know about an absence or tardy does not "excuse" the absence. Excused absences are given for medical appointments, bereavement, court apperances, or for other legitimate reasons. Sleeping in and traffic are not an excuse.
ALL ABSENCES MUST BE CLEARED WITHIN 2 SCHOOL DAYS OF A STUDENT’S RETURN TO SCHOOL IF ABSENCES ARE NOT CLEARED WITHIN 2 DAY, STUDENT WILL SERVE LUNCH DETENTION UNTIL ABSENCES GET CLEARED.
Notes are to be turned in to the Attendance Office before school, during lunch or after school.
Telephone calls may bemade to the Attendance Office using the following numbers:
- 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Main Switchboard 909-389-2500
- 7:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Attandance Office only 909-389-2701
- 24 hour line Recorder Responds in Attendance 909-389-2700
Absences not cleared within the 48-hour time period are considered to be unexcused (truant) and will result in disciplinary action against a student consistent with guidelines contained in the Student Handbook. NOTE: All absences must be cleared through the Attendance Staff. Calls to other offices relative to attendance are not recorded and will not suffice to clear an absence.
To assist parents in keeping informed of students absences, an automatic calling system makes daily calls to the home of students who are marked absent for any period during any day unless that absence has been previously cleared. Our automated caller gives you the opportunity to respond after the message. If you feel your child was marked absent incorrectly for a specific period, please contact the teacher regarding the absence.
If a student is late to first period, the tardiness will be excused IF a parent/guardian walks the student to the Attendance Office window or sends a note with the student. No phone calls will be accepted the first 30 minutes of school. After 5 excused tardies, the teacher or administrator may assign the student to report to detention instead of interrupting the class again. Tardies excused with a doctor's note or by parent will show as an "N" on the attendance page. All others will be shown as a "T" for unexcused tardy.
Please help us cut down on classroom interruptions. If your student needs to be dismissed early from school, please send a note with your student. The student needs to take the note to the attendance office in the morning before school begins. If you forget to send a note, please notify the attendance office as early as possible before dismissal is needed. This will help reduce classroom interruptions and your wait time. No student will be excused from campus without a parent present from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., notes and phone calls will not be accepted.
No student will be excused from campus without a parent present from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., notes and phone calls will not be accepted, per District Policy and for Student safety.